So as 2018 comes to a close a lot of people on social media are writing about their top 3 things they’re thankful of from the vintage year of 2018…. so I’ll just add my penny’s worth and be done with it till next year! 😉
- Family & Friends – I’m thankful that I have a very supportive family who are always there for me through thick and thin! I’m also lucky to have met some great people over the years – no more so than the recent bunch of folks from the vCommunity who I got to know better at various conferences this year!
- Job Opportunities – having landed a job at VMware, I’ve now reach one of my long-term career goals… it’s taken me a while as I’ve always been a bit picky as to what my next role would be! I’m fortunate enough to have found a perfect role at VMware where I can continue working within the channel… hopefully I can bring some of the knowledge I’ve picked up over the past decade working at a VAR/Solution Provider and help drive partner engagement at VMware. 2019 will be an exciting time for me with this brand new role – especially since it’s a new structure rolling out in EMEA first!
- Old Colleagues at MTI Technology – moving jobs means having to leave behind a brilliant group of people at MTI Technology where I’ve spent 5 amazing years. I wouldn’t be where I am now if I didn’t end up at MTI after 2e2 went into administration – that experience really drove me to expand my knowledge, start blogging about VMware and also become more active in the community…. and all with the full support of my manager who had the decency to trust that I could carry out my day job whilst pursuing other personal objectives! 2018 also saw a new marketing team come on board at MTI and take an idea I had for a “Secure HCI Campaign” and turn it into an award-winning one! With the help of my colleague Andy Tang we wrote the material for the campaign which marketing helped to put together!
So what’s in store for 2019….. Well, I’m never one who’s great at making New Years’ resolutions and then keeping to them for 365 days! I guess the 3 things I’m hoping to achieve this year would be:
- Try and be a good father and husband – with my 2nd child due in March I’m going to have to level up my parenting skills (Dad v2.0). Whilst I’m excited that we’re having a 2nd kid, I’m also vaguely aware that it’s been 3+ years since I last had to deal with a newborn – although I’m told it all comes flooding back the first time you change their nappy (“OMG it’s black tar”) and after 24hrs of no sleep! Also a 2nd child means more responsibility and with us both deciding the wife should stop work to raise our kids, it means I need to be more financially responsible!
- Excel in my new job and try not to get fired! (that last point is always a good resolution to have!) I’ve had a soft-landing so far into my role with a lot of onboarding and training, but not much in terms of going out to work with partners (still waiting for final list of focus-partners). I’m told that January is when I’m really going to be dropped in the deep end, so I need to make sure I’m ready for the new challenges I’m going to face in 2019!
- Try and get more involved with the VMware community – whether vExpert or VMUG! The latter is difficult now that I’m working for VMware, but hopefully I can support the vCommunity wherever I can… who knows, maybe I’ll finally say a few words on a podcast or maybe present something at VMUG/VMworld… All I know is I’ve met a great bunch of people from the community and I want to continue supporting it as best as I can!
So, that’s it from me….. Hope you all have a Blessed and Prosperous 2019!