So it’s all happening this week with this upgrade/clean up of the MTI solution centre!! =)
Upon finishing all the upgrades and reconfiguring vSphere Replication and Site Recovery Manager, I noticed the DR vCSA was a bit unresponsive…. taking ages to log into Web Client (sometimes it didn’t even get that far) – signing into the VAMI, I noticed that there was a critical error regarding the log file.
If you weren’t aware, one of the changes to vCSA with 6.0 was the deployment of 11 VMDKs with the appliance, one for each component service of vCenter. In previous versions there were only 2 virtual disks and this proved problematic when trying to increase disk capacity for particular components of vCenter Server (ie if you only wanted to increase the log directory).
As the vCSA was running in a demo environment, I decided to only do a ‘Tiny’ install – and it turns out that vCSA just ran out of capacity for logging – a quick jump onto the console proved this to be true:
The following VMware KB provides details into the 11 VMDKs and what mount points are attached to each vdisk: https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2126276.
I followed the instructions to increase the capacity of the log vdisk (VMDK5) and then gave the vCSA a reboot…..
The vCSA is now healthy and back to normal. =)
As a footnote, here’s a VMware KB that explains how to increase he maximum backup size and index of the vCSA to try and resolve he issue of the log directory fill up: https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2143565